[WBEL-users] updates

Greg Knaddison greg.knaddison at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 09:40:12 CDT 2005

On 6/29/05, Jean Lee <jean.lee at free.fr> wrote:
> Thomas E Dukes wrote:
> >Being new to WBEL I was wondering why there are numerous updates to RHEL but
> >not for WBEL.  Can I d/l the .srpm's from Redhat and compile them myself?
<snip>

> There are updates for WBEL too but you can't access RHEL repositories to
> update your system.

The original question is about downloading the srpms from redhat, so
that Thomas could rebuild them himself rather than relying on John to
do that (I will rely on John since I'm not interested in doing the
rebuild myself).  So, the answer to that question is that the SRPMs
are always available, that's how John gets them :)

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/4/en/os/i386/SRPMS/

You can dig around up a level or two to find different architectures.
I will warn that not all packages perfectly compile, at least that's
what I've heard from John and various other rebuilders.

> You can use yum or up2date like with RHEL but you have to configure them
> in order to access WBEL update repositories.
>
> Personnaly, I am using yum :
>
> take a look at /etc/yum.conf and configure it to make it pointing to one
> of the update mirror available here :
>
> http://www.whiteboxlinux.org/download.html
>
> then type :
>
> yum upgrade

In general, "yum upgrade" or (more typically appropriate) "yum update"
will take care of updating a system.  I think that there were some
problems with the yum.conf in the original version of manifest-destiny
which have been detailed on the last in the last few months.  You can
browse the archives to find the solutions.

regards,
Greg