[WBEL-users] updates: coming with a cut down db4

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Wed Jun 29 20:57:15 CDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-06-28 at 19:57, Thomas E Dukes wrote:

> Being new to WBEL I was wondering why there are numerous updates to RHEL but
> not for WBEL.

Been running behind.  Haven't had time to find an answer to a vexing
problem getting all of the RHEL3-U5 packages to build.  Have finally
decided the only winning move is not to play anymore.   db4 is going to
ship with Java support removed.

It requires java-1.4.2-gcj-devel and the only srpm I can find on
jpackage won't build without gcc-3.4, eclipse and a whole boatload of
other cruft.  The binary rpm won't even install without gcc-3.4.  I
haven't a clue how RH managed to build just the java part with a much
newer gcc and retain compatibility with the rest of the system built
with 3.2.  Frankly tired of swimming in a sea of java bullcrap.  Never
could abide with that junk, perhaps when gcj is finally finished it will
be viable tech, but as it stands now it has no place in a distribution
of Free Software.  As RH converts more of their distro from Sun/IBM java
to gcj I expect more breakage with WBEL3, and since they don't provide
(or I haven't located) the source for the backported java-1.4.2-gcj I
will probably have to deal with it the same way, by excising the Java
support from packages as they get converted.

RHEL4/WBEL4 had jpackage & gcj from the start and should work, if you
depend on a working Java environment I'd suggest planning to migrate
unless somebody can point out some obvious solution I have been missing
to get 3.0 working again.

>   Can I d/l the .srpm's from Redhat and compile them myself?

Yes.  WBEL is self hosted and almost every package builds without any
problem.  And if you aren't redistributing your rebuilds you probably
don't have to worry about trademark removal and can just build them as
supplied at updates.redhat.com.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris     This post is 100% M$Free!