[WBEL-users] Commercial Yum mirror

Jamey Fletcher jamey at beau.org
Tue Mar 1 22:11:03 CST 2005

Mark A. Lewis wrote:

> Well, I think what you will find is that anyone that is willing to pay
> for a service will just rsnync and make their own local mirror. I would
> think that the only ones that may pay for something like this would be
> someone with multiple servers, which even makes it more likely they will
> make their own mirror.

> I think you need to find something "value added" to even have a hope.

I'm with Mark on this - the only things I can see you could sell as far
as being a commercial yum mirror is guaranteed bandwidth and uptime.
And I don't think you'd be able to support that with what you could
charge - after all, yum has an option to leave the update RPMs in place,
so you as long as someone can access you, they can then leverage that to
a site mirror.

Dunno - it sounds good at first glance, but I don't see how to make it
pay in the long run.