[WBEL-users] Building the kernel

sean at catfeeder.net sean at catfeeder.net
Fri Mar 4 02:37:07 CST 2005

Vic:

Have you tried downloading the regular source code (as opposed to RPM)?

There are a couple of ways to build a kernel on a RPM based system (like
RedHat).  Since you mentioned that you installed kernel-source, I'm
assuming that you've installed the kernel SRPM.  Building a kernel at that
point isn't too difficult; just go to the SPECS directory and do something
like "rpmbuild -ba NAME_OF_SPEC_FILE_HERE."  You can also add options to
it as well, such as target architecture.  The spec file will probably
build a kernel with about everything enabled as modules.

One thing to note that if building a kernel via the RPM method, you'll
want to specify your target architecture.  If you don't, it will default
to i386, which will run, but certain kernel rpms won't be built, such as
an SMP enabled kernel (if you run dual processors or a hyper-threaded
CPU).

If you want more control over your build options, then I typically find it
best to download the vanilla kernel source code from kernel.org or a
mirror and compile from scratch.  There is a wealth of information online
on how to build your kernel.  Try a search on Google's Linux specific
search engine for information at http://www.google.com/linux.  I searched
for "kernel compilation howto" and tons of stuff came up.

There used to be a Kernel-howto on the Linux documentation project but it
wasn't maintained and was pretty out of date as it covered the 2.0 kernel.
 But, there is information out there.

-Sean