[WBEL-users] monitoring strange behavior help

Erick Perez eaperezh at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 07:48:15 CST 2005

Hi people, One of my clients use  WBEL to run sendmail, pop3, dhcdp,
iptables (with shorewall script with nat and port forwarding,
antismurf and some other features) and the TrendMicro IMSS (mail)  and
IWSS (http traffic) antivirus products.

Things were going fine but now the server freezes at least once a day.
It freezes up to the point were local console does not respond so i
have no way to tell whats going on (cpu? rogue process?) so i have to
power off and back on.

searching the logs reveal nothing strange (at least for me, but im no genious)

Do you know of some script or program that can alert me when unusual
conditions begin to happen in the server? like cpu increase? ram
increase? swap?
some process eating up resources?

most importat is any way to set up some system wide "nice" level so
the apps do not eat up the CPU/RAM, so when the condition happens
again, I will at least have the chance to get in and take a look?

Many thanks in advance