[WBEL-users] Re: VMWare

Benjamin Smith lists at benjamindsmith.com
Thu Mar 10 13:29:53 CST 2005

Yet more feedback...

 I use VMWare w/s on Fedora C3 linux so that I can develop a PHP-GTK
application on Windows.

I LOVE it! I frequently run XWindows dual-head on my laptop, so I have Win
2000 on the right screen, and the FC base O/S on the left. Very, very
efficient.

Being able to take a snapshot of the HDD before doing something allows me to
test installers quickly and easily, and then instantly recover to
pre-installation state. I share the Windows virtual drive with Samba and
mount it on the Linux O/S, so I get all the command-line tools as well.
(grep, find, etc)

I tested WBEL in a VMWare session for a few weeks before trying it on anything
real.

Lots of RAM, yadda yadda. I have 1.5 GB of RAM on my 1.7 Centrino laptop dev
system, and I'm happy with the performance - it's probably comparable to a
700-1000 Mhz P3, plenty fast enough for my somewhat modest needs.

The only niggle is that I have to recompile the VMWare libraries every time a
kernel update comes out, but that's quite livable. Interestingly, Windows is
quite a bit more stable in the VM than on the bare hardware!

One of the original questions was regarding H/W support - don't expect to get
any support for hardware not supported by the host O/S. I have a USB printer
that Linux hasn't a clue on, and it runs on a dedicated windows box, and I
print on it over the network since I can't plug it directly into my laptop
workstation.

-Ben

On Thursday 10 March 2005 09:03, Tony wrote:
> We use it in production here where i work, the server product... and i
> will chime in as well about
> the fact you need LOTS of ram. Ours are quad CPU machines with 4GB ram.
>
> I have noticed here, that running virtual servers are ok if they are
> *servers*, but once you use
> them for something else, like development or applications, then the
> performance goes to pot..
>
> As a disclaimer, we only use windows clients, on a ESX server.. But im
> sure the same thing would happen
> with other clients as well.
>
> On my desktop, I use GSX to support multiple OS's, but since im only
> doing one thing at at time, i dont notice
> the same issues my web developer has..
>

> Just as a side note, at home ive had pretty good luck running QEMU on a
> unix ( BSD )  host.. its much
> cheaper than VMware ( as in free. )  Client install times suck bad, but
> once installed they seem to be
> acceptable.. Have not put them under heavy load for stability testing,
> yet..

- XEROX PARC slogan, circa 1978