[WBEL-users] pop3d question

Edward Rudd eddie at omegaware.com
Thu Mar 10 22:21:40 CST 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-04 at 19:05, Erick Perez wrote:
> Im running pop3d from xinetd. I am sure i will get  marked as newbie
> but i apologize in advance.
> i just dont remember and google is not helping (or i am in the idiot mood)
>
> since my pop3d process gets so many hits per day and xinetd keeps
> starting a process....how do i run it as a daemon so i make my server
> more stable?

the wu-imap package (package imap on wbel) which contains imapd and
ipop3d does not support running in daemon mode unfortunately. if you
want an imap/pop server that will run in daemon mode you should look at
cyrus, courier, or dovecot. I personally use cyrus imapd RPMS from
http://www.invoca.ch/pub/packages/cyrus-imapd/ and the cyrus sasl rpms
from http://www.invoca.ch/pub/packages/cyrus-sasl/ (use the RH9
src.rpm).

There are precompiled dovecot RPMS on dag wieers' website
http://dag.wieers.com/packages/dovecot/ though I have not used dovecot
before.

--
Edward Rudd <eddie at omegaware.com>