[WBEL-users] Re: High Point HPT-372 drivers

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Mar 21 14:45:11 CST 2005

Arif Gangji wrote:
> I've actually got a similar problem, using Highpoint RocketRAID133.
>
> I took the source files, created the drivers on a fresh installed WBEL
> machine...no problem (had to give it the proper KERNELDIR option when
> running make).
>
> When I copy the files over to a floppy and try to give it the disk when
> trying to install WBEL on another machine it reads (see the activity light),
> and continues asking for a driver disk.
>
> That same disk when given during a RHEL install, throws up an error stating
> that the driver is for a different kernel...so RHEL is seeing the files,
> while it looks like WBEL isn't.....that's as far as I've been able to get.

These controllers are just a "software" raid controller with their
routines in the bios just like a Promise controller.Without an onboard
processor, they don't take any load from the host machine. Theeir
purpose was to add raid support to an OS that has none, or has none at
boot. You can use most of these type of controllers as their base ide
controller and setup software raid. The performance would probably be
similar, with a very slight advantage to whoever had the most optimized
drivers ( and I would bet the standard raid drivers in linux have had
more work for stability and speed).

--
"If you have ever eaten crow,
It don't taste like chicken!!"