[WBEL-users] Respin 2 update install lost my flash drives

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Mon Mar 21 22:15:48 CST 2005

On Fri, 2005-03-18 at 22:32, Mark Jarvis wrote:
> First let me say that I'm well aware that save/clean_install/restore is
> the best way to go.

Actually, upgrading to a respin is overkill.  There isn't anything there
that you wouldn't get from up2date or yum.  The only reasons for
creating respins is a) to reduce the download time needed to patch up a
newly installed machine and b) to get newer hardware support into the
boot kernel so that installation is possible on hardware that wasn't
supported when the last set of CDs were built.

Upgrading to WBEL4 when it drops is another story.  Upgrading between
major versions on a running system is suicidal at best.  RH doesn't even
recommend upgrading at all, but anaconda does offer the option and if
you system isn't exotic it seems to work.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris     This post is 100% M$Free!