[WBEL-users] Re: ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe nForce2 networking

Bob Ramstad rramstad at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 11:46:35 CST 2005

I answered my own question, thought I'd post the solution to the list,
haven't seen anyone post a solution, figured it would be good for the
archives.

I installed a 3Com 3C905B in the machine temporarily, and added to
/etc/modules.conf the line

alias eth0 3c59x

When I rebooted kudzu picked up the new card, and I configured it for
network access.

I then ran yum update to get the newest kernel, and newest
kernel-source.  I rebooted with the new kernel.

I started to compile a new kernel -- mostly to get to the menuconfig
step -- and inspected the setting for the forcedeth driver.  The
default for WBEL3 kernels is to not compile the forcedeth driver,
either included in the kernel or as a module.

So, I ended up compiling a new kernel with forcedeth as a module and
also with multiple SCSI luns on (I have a DAT changer on one server).
After compiling and rebooting with the new kernel, kudzu prompted to
configure the nForce networking, and I was all set...  I configured
that, dumped in as root, shut networking down, moved ifcfg-eth1 to
ifcfg-eth0 and edited it, edited /etc/modules.conf and did a similar
swap, shut the computer down, removed the 3Com card, and rebooted.
Voila!

I chose to install the 3Com card so I didn't have to compile a custom
kernel twice, but that might have been more efficient and less
confusing in the end... it would have been just as straightforward to
install kernel-source from the respin2 CD-ROM, compile a custom kernel
with forcedeth support, get the network working, yum update, then
compile another custom kernel once the update finished.  I thought the
3Com card would speed things up as I didn't have to compile the kernel
twice.  Not sure in the end if it was really faster or not, but it did
give me the warm fuzzies to know that if I couldn't get the forcedeth
to work that at least I had a working network card in the system.

Hope this helps somebody...

-- Bob