[WBEL-users] Server hard disk failure

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Mar 30 16:17:45 CST 2005

Francies Moore wrote:
> Hi everyone
>
> One of my WBEL servers has crashed due to the failure of one of its hard
> disks.  My hardware support technician (a recent Linux convert) says it
> could be a filesystem failure.  Is such a thing possible on a machine
> which was doing nothing over Easter?  I thought Linux was more stable
> than "that other system" in this regard.
>
> Whatever happened to it, it cannot reboot as the ext3 journal cannot get
> its head around the situation.
>
> How do I recover what is left on the surviving hard disk (which contains
> the operating system and some user files)?  Do I revert to ext2 by
> deleting the journal and changing the fstab?  If so, where do I find the
> journal file, and what is it called?
>
> Can I go back to ext3 when a new HD is fitted?

It would help loads if you remember or have written down somewhere what
is on each drive.
IE... partition numbers and mountpoints
If you can get back /etc, /home,  and /var that is most of the changing
data on a system. Much of the rest will have to be re-installed, but is
fairly static data

--
"If you have ever eaten crow,
It don't taste like chicken!!"