[WBEL-users] which is the correct ?

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Thu Mar 31 15:53:16 CST 2005

On Thu, 2005-03-31 at 09:45, Jorge Sanchez wrote:
> Some persons said me White Box Linux
> it's what i need, I find the web page but i'm so confused about the
> Respin and Updates, the only i need is the most, most similar to RHEL
> SE 3 to test with the Oracle programs i mentioned above. Please guide
> me what's the one i have to download. Thank for all and excuse me
> again for my english.

Ok, WBEL3 is basically the same as RHEL3, except since I couldn't start
building the final until after RHEL3 shipped and some errata came out
for RHEL3 during that time I decided to roll them in.

Red Hat issues an Update roughly every quarter, the most recent of which
was Update4, which I find to be a bit often considering the load on both
myself and what it would do to the mirror network so I have skipped
Update 1 and Update 3, releasing a Respin1 release a bit after Update2
so it also accumulated a few extra security fixes and most recently I
put out the second, Respin2 which integrates Updates 1 through 4 plus
all additional errata issues by RH through the end of Feb 05.

Any of these releases should host Oracle since they are mostly bug and
security fixes plus some additional hardware support in the newer
kernels and at any rate they will all become exactly the same software
after the first time you run Up2Date or yum.  The only difference
between them is how long you sit downloading patches unless you are
installing on very new hardware that the older kernels simply doesn't
support.

Don't really have much experience with Oracle myself though, only enough
to have installed it once so that I could build a set of binary rpms of
tora that would include the tora-oracle plugin package.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris     This post is 100% M$Free!