[WBEL-users] RPMBUILD Confusion ?

Ralph Blach chipper at us.ibm.com
Tue May 3 08:07:30 CDT 2005

John Morris wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-05-02 at 07:01, yogi wrote:
>
>>I am trying to build an RPM with a spec file on WBEL 4
>>But the problem i am facing is that it wants folder /usr/src/redhat
>>but there is folder /usr/src/whitebox
>

> Yup, that is a bug.  Should have tried building a package as root
> instead of as a user.  I'm fixing that now. Until the 4 final hits
> though, build as a user with this in your ~/.rpmmacros file:
>
> %_topdir        %(echo $HOME)/rpmbuild

I found I had to import the entire redhat rpmmacro file to get the
rpmbuild process to correctly build.  Just setting %_topdir did not
really do it.  trying to do an rpmbuild --rebuild never worked.

Also, one of the most frustating things about this entire proceess of
building RPMS's from the sources that I cant seem to install down a new
install root and I cant get rpm to check for dependencys from that
install root.

OK, lets look at setup-2.5.27-1.noarch.rpm
which contains the files
/etc/bashrc
/etc/csh.cshrc
/etc/csh.login
/etc/exports
/etc/filesystems
/etc/group
/etc/host.conf
/etc/hosts.allow
/etc/hosts.deny
/etc/inputrc
/etc/motd
/etc/passwd
/etc/printcap
/etc/profile
/etc/profile.d
/etc/protocols
/etc/securetty
/etc/services
/etc/shells
/usr/doc/setup-2.5.27
/usr/doc/setup-2.5.27/uidgid
/var/log/lastlog

It would be really nice to specifiy an install root so that I could not
have to do a chroot to install. and it would be really nice if I could
get RPM to pick up on the dependencys in this install root.

Just my two probably incorrect worth.

Chip