[WBEL-users] White Box Enterprise Linux 4

Kirby C. Bohling kbohling at birddog.com
Sat May 7 19:58:04 CDT 2005

[Nix'ed the CC: to -announce and -devel]

On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 09:04:12PM -0500, John Morris wrote:

>    * tora isn't built from the unmodified srpm. A tweak was made to the
> first line of the .spec to produce a tora-oracle package. Oracle 10g was
> also installed prior to this. A side rant: installation of the Oracle
> client is much harder than it needs to be (anyone at Oracle heard of
> RPM?) and the download can't be accomplished with WBEL3's current
> Mozilla. IE was required by way of CrossOver Office.

Yes, Oracle has in fact heard of RPM's.  I just wish they'd release
an 8i and 9i version of them.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/software/tech/oci/instantclient/htdocs/linuxsoft.html

You can google for RPM Oracle Client, and find this as the first or
second link.  I always find it handy to know which information is
easily googlable, then I can forget the details and remember the
keywords.

As far as downloading the Oracle client with the current Mozilla,
I'm shocked.  I've downloaded lots of stuff with Mozilla from
Oracle's site (8i, 9i, 9iAS, and the AS10g disks have all been
downloaded recently with WBEL).

    What is really, really irritating, is that Mozilla won't put the
damn downloads where you tell it (I've had innumerable downloads
fail because of this, it's an assine situation.  It's my
understanding, the people who agree with me lost the argument).
They will be downloaded to /tmp (possibly whatever your TMP variable
is, I've never played with it), and then moved to the filesystem you
actually wanted them saved to afterwards.  If you run out of temp
space, it will buffer them to VM (which will crush your machine, if
it doesn't just lock up at some point).  So you can't say, download
three install disks in parallel (and leave overnight) unless you've
got 2GB free on /tmp.  I have yet find any way of forcing it to put
the files on the filesystem I told it to while they are being
downloaded.

    The easiest way around this is to use Konquerer.  I believe you
can also use wget and have it load the cookie you need to access the
site.  I've never used wget to do it.

Okay, I just tried it, you can use wget like this:

wget --cookies=on --load-cookies ~/.mozilla/default/$UNIQ_NAME/cookies.txt -O ship.db.lnx32.cpio.gz
'http://download.oracle.com/otn/linux/oracle10g/ship.db.lnx32.cpio.gz'

$UNIQ_NAME is the unique name given to your Mozilla profile.  I
believe it being public knowledge makes you vulnerable to attack so
I'm avoiding posting mine.

The only trick is that you have to actually log into the site via
Mozilla to get the username and password into your cookie file.
When the dialog box for where to save it comes up, just Cancel, and
run the above wget command.

> Oracle also won't install on either WBEL4 OR RHEL4, manually
> placing "Red Hat Enterprise Linux release 3 (manifestdestiny)"
> into /etc/redhat-release was required to successfully install the
> Oracle client.  A tora-oracle package is now supplied for both
> i386 and x86_64.

Thanks for the tip on the Oracle install.  Good to know it will
install, but there is a trick to it.

    Kirby