[WBEL-users] determining hardware assignments to network interfaces

Jan-Albert van Ree javanree at vanree.net
Thu May 12 14:10:35 CDT 2005

On Thursday 12 May 2005 20:48, keith morse wrote:
> I've been banging my head on this the last couple of hours.  WBEL4 (kudos
> John) on a box that has 6 network interfaces.
>
> 	1.	Onboard NIC, Intel 100
> 	2.	3com 3C90X
>
> 	the next is a quad port NIC.
>
> 	3.	via-rhine
> 	4.	via-rhine
> 	5.	via-rhine
> 	6.	via-rhine
>

> Currently the order is:
>
> 	eth0	via-rhine
> 	eth1	via-rhine
> 	eth2	via-rhine
> 	eth3	via-rhine
> 	eth4	3com 3C90X
> 	eth5	Onboard NIC, Intel 100
>
> I'd like the order to be:
>
> 	eth0	Onboard NIC, Intel 100
> 	eth1	3com 3C90X
> 	eth2	via-rhine
> 	eth3	via-rhine
> 	eth4	via-rhine
> 	eth5	via-rhine
>
> Which will then match my current set of firewall rules.
>

> I've modified/updated /etc/modprobe.conf and /etc/sysconfig/hwconf to no
> avail.  In particular /etc/sysconfig/hwconf keeps getting reset to its
> original value.
>
> Any clue greatfully appreciated.

Have you tried forcing 'em all hard
using /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethx ?
You can add a line defining the MAC address in each of those...

HWADDR=00:00:00:00:00:00

And yeah, that's my real MAC address indeed, cool ha?! ;)
--
Jan-Albert van Ree  | http://www.vanree.net/brickpiles/
VanRee IT Solutions | http://www.vanree.net