[WBEL-users] determining hardware assignments to network interfaces

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Thu May 12 20:39:36 CDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 13:48, keith morse wrote:

> I've modified/updated /etc/modprobe.conf and /etc/sysconfig/hwconf to no
> avail.  In particular /etc/sysconfig/hwconf keeps getting reset to its
> original value.

Excerpt from: /usr/share/doc/whitebox-release-4/RELEASE-NOTES-x86-en:

     o White Box Enterprise Linux 4 now includes support for Advanced
       Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI), a power management
       specification commonly supported by most newer hardware.

       Due to differences in the order in which hardware is probed in
       system environments with and without ACPI support, the
       potential for device name changes exists. This means, for
       example, that a network interface card identified as eth1 under a
       prior version of White Box Enterprise Linux may now appear as
       eth0.

Since you are on a server (more like router in your case of six ethernet
ports) you probably don't need ACPI so boot with acpi=off and see if
that returns the previous behaviour.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris     This post is 100% M$Free!