[WBEL-users] Whitebox respin 2 - Bind 9.2.1 - Random fails

Vic whitebox at beer.org.uk
Fri May 13 04:51:56 CDT 2005

> $ dig @80.168.121.5 www.google.co.uk
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> @xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx www.google.co.uk
> ;; global options:  printcmd

That's a timeout; the box probably doesn't have the info to hand.

> and then straight away

It's not always straightaway; I've had a couple of successive failures
from that box. Once it's got the data, it seems to respond...

> any ideas as to what might cause this? They are on the same network and
> so no firewall in place. No firewall running on the box either.

Do you mean that there is no firewall between this box and the rest of the
internet? I suspect that is where the delay lies...

Can you post your /etc/named.conf file, as well as any external firewall
rules for port 53 (TCP and UDP)? This might give us somewhere to statr...

HTH

Vic.