[WBEL-users] Whitebox respin 2 - Bind 9.2.1 - Random fails

Tom Brown tom.brown at goodtechnology.com
Fri May 13 06:19:17 CDT 2005

> Do you mean that there is no firewall between this box and the rest of the
> internet? I suspect that is where the delay lies...
>
> Can you post your /etc/named.conf file, as well as any external firewall
> rules for port 53 (TCP and UDP)? This might give us somewhere to statr...

thanks - even thought there is no firewall between those 2 boxes it was
the main gateway firewall at fault. Seems checkpoint and smart defence
thinks that DNS from bind is some form of attack and drops it eg

Action:           	Drop
Protocol:       	udp
Service:        	domain-udp (53)
Attack Name:	Invalid DNS
Information:  	Attack Info: Badly formed DNS

so turning off that rule in smart defence cleared up the issue!

thanks and sorry for the post as it seems a checkpoint issue.