[WBEL-users] Problems with WBEL 4 in an older system

Mon May 16 05:03:40 CDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 10:37 +0200, pedro cañadilla wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a problem installing WBEL 4 in an old desktop PC.
> The desktop is a Pentium 166 MMX with 192 MB of RAM.
> I boot from CD, the kernel is loaded, then initrd reboots the computer.
> I tried linux text, linux noprobe, etc with no results.
> It's a rare thing, just because other RedHat CDs works properly.
>
> I've done the MD5 checksum from the downloaded files, checked the Cds,
> etc, and everything is allright.
>
> Could you help me, please?

RHEL 4 (and WBEL 4) do not work on an i586 kernel.  Machines have to
have at least a i686 processor to work with those distros.  That is
Pentium Pro and above only. A pentium MMX will not work with those
kernels.

CentOS 4 has i586 support and should install on that machine.

See these other posts:

http://beau.org/pipermail/whitebox-devel/2005-April/001181.html
(follow that whole thread)

--