[WBEL-users] bittorrent for WBEL 4.0 updates perhaps?

Mark Reynolds mark at reynolds.net.au
Wed May 18 20:59:45 CDT 2005

Having only recently discovered the wonders
of bittorrent, I started thinking about how
it could be used for updates.

Has anyone given this any thought?
Has anyone seen this done anywhere else?
Has anyone done this themselves?

With all the update problems for WBEL 3.0, with bandwidth
issues at the source, corrupted ISO files, problems
with repositories starting up and then shutting down,
it seems to me that bittorrent might help.

All the usual benefits of bt would apply, but I
can't wrap my head around how new files being
inserted in the source repository, would get published.

Would such a system require a new .torrent file to be
published, as new update files were added?

Would remote bittorrent repositories, assisting by
running 24x7, need to check every hour for the new
source .torrent file (say with rsync), and then grab
the new .torrent file, and then restart bittorrent
if a new .torrent file was found?

Then you've also got the problem of rebuilding the
headers, when the new update rpms have arrived.

I'm happy to setup a test system here, based on my
latest WBEL 4.0 server. But I'd like feedback and
thoughts on a system which would be easy to maintain,
easy for WBEL newbies to use, be yum based as always,
and hopefully, and improve the update process.

regards

--
Mark Reynolds

Managing Director     Reynolds Technology Pty Ltd
Phone   1300 656 424  http://www.reynolds.net.au
Fax     1300 656 458  mailto:mark at reynolds.net.au
ACN     078 831 740   PO Box 945 South Perth 6951 WA
ABN  73 078 831 740   152 Grt Eastern Hwy, Ascot 6104