[WBEL-users] Postfix

Karl-Koenig Koenigsson koenigsson at gmail.com
Thu May 19 05:24:04 CDT 2005

Last night I pulled out the Postfix installation from my WBEL3 since
it is more than ancient. I then compiled and installed a newer version
straight from postfix.org.

A couple of questions that I have encountered in concert with this:

- I had to get rid of both mutt ans squirrelmail since there were
dependencies. I "used yum remove postfix" and from there I got the
dependency chain. I could not find a way to manually install these
packages after I was done with my manual Postfix installation. What is
the proper yum incantation to tell yum that I already have a MTA
installed and to get it to please get on with the installation and not
require me to get sendmail as well.

- Perhaps someone has already made a RPM for WBEL with Postfix 2.2
that I could/could have installed instead of my manual installation?
It would be nice to know for future reference.

- Why, oh why do RedHat keep insisting on enclosing the 2.0 version of
Postfix? Most distros seems to do this and I find it utterly annoying.
Quite a lot of water has passed under the bridges in the last years
and Postfix has evolved even further. There are things in later
versions that I require (support for greylist handling) and 2.0 just
does not make it.

- How hard is it to make a RPM of what I have? I mean: if there is no
2.2 release for WBEL I guess I just will have to make one, right? :-)
There are certain advantages with having everything installed as RPMs
-- just see the first paragraph.

Enough ramblings for now -- comments, anyone?

    Karl-Koenig Koenigsson