[WBEL-users] updates and X problem

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Thu May 19 19:46:17 CDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 18:43, David Bussenschutt wrote:
> Hi All,
> Question 1: Last night my RHEL ES3 box updated a huge bunch of it's RPM's
> via up2date so it's now at "Taroon Update 5" - is WBEL planning on
> continuing to release new 'update' RPMs for ES3 now that WB/ES 4 is out? (I
> also have WBEL ES3 respin2 on a couple of boxes, so their upkeep is
> important to me).

Yes.  I hatched a batch of 'catchup' errata this week.  Once I can be
fairly certain that updates.redhat.com is completely updated (it can
take a couple of days) I'll diff the current listings against what I
already have and start pulling.

Probably won't issue a full respin for U5.  Depends on how much new
hardware support went in.  Will issue one after U6 or U7 depending on
how much errata piles up and workload here.  Other than my buildhost at
home and a machine on the bench here at work, all of our production
machines are still WBEL3 and probably will remain so for months.  I'd
like to see RH get external (USB or FireWire) mass storage back, at a
minimum, before migrating many machines.  I don't see us upgrading our
servers for years.  New ones will get the current release but why
upgrade a machine that is working?

> Question 2: Oh, and on another problem with WBEL3(respin2)... Has anyone
> else had problems with their X instalation after updating all their RPMs?  I
> did a 'server' install(plus developemt tools and stuff), and then
> immediately after that updated everything with up2date/yum, and following
> the full update and reboot, my initial X 'login' screen has no text and no
> logos and no buttons and is non-functional.   Perhaps one of the RPM's was
> broke?   Which one do you think it might be?

That wasn't the respin per se, but something that broke along the way in
the errata stream.  Bit several people here on the lists, including one
of my machines.  Got my machine back by removing and reinstalling
pango.  If anyone can actually figure out what is going wrong I'd really
like to fix it properly.

Another that is biting hard is two copies of librsvg2.  Do:
rpm -q librsvg2

If you get two versions remove the old one.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris     This post is 100% M$Free!