[WBEL-users] Trying to install yum on wbel 4

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Fri May 20 06:27:03 CDT 2005

On 5/20/05, Benjamin Smith <lists at benjamindsmith.com> wrote:
>        Found /etc/yum.repos.d/wbelmirrors.yum, and copied it
> to /etc/yum.repos.d/default.repo
>
>        Now, yum starts, but I get lots of errors, shown below.
>
>        1) $releasever isn't getting parsed. Instead, notice the "Null" that's put
> in, there. Just to be sure, I tried doing a search/replace for "$releasever"
> and replaced with "4", see #2 below.
>
>        2) It's looking for a "repmomd.xml". I looked thru my own yum repositories,
> and there's no such file. Also, I've verified that there is no such file at
> several of the listed repositories. (even when I replace the "Null" with a
> "4" in my browser)
>
>        I've already mirrored the WBEL release tree via rsync, and set up a yum
> archive for the 2-dozen-ish servers I intend to have running WBEL 4 as soon
> as I can get some trial testing done, but I can't install anything on my new
> system with yum! Does the yum repo need to be set up with yum-arch version
> 2.2? (my yum repo is currently running WBEL 3.0)

1) This is because in /etc/yum.conf

distroverpkg=redhat-release

... yum uses the major version number of this RPM to figure out what
OS version it's using. From the yum.conf man page...

distroverpkg
 The package used by yum to determine the "version" of the
distribution. This can   be any installed package. Default is
'red-hat-release'.

To work properly with Whitebox it needs to be...

distroverpkg=whitebox-release

[root at localhost ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
White Box Enterprise Linux release 4 (manifestdestiny)
[root at localhost ~]# rpm -q redhat-release
package redhat-release is not installed
[root at localhost ~]# rpm -q whitebox-release
whitebox-release-4-2.WB2
[root at localhost ~]#

Possibly something else worth a bug report?

And 2)

http://linux.duke.edu/projects/metadata/

Aparently yum-arch has been deprecated for createrepo, which was news
to me too, until about half an hour ago. :)

Our local DAG repos have the new repodata/ structure in addition to
old-style headers/, though that could be down to our nightly yum-arch.
None of the trees we sync from ukmirror.ac.uk have repodata/. And the
createrepo RPM isn't part of the default EL distro seemingly.

Will.