[WBEL-users] shared memory ...

Kirby C. Bohling kbohling at birddog.com
Mon May 23 21:02:57 CDT 2005

On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 06:45:15PM -0700, Jim Bodkikns (Dakotacom) wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I have several questions.
>

>   An application written for RHEL 3 works correctly (the lock manager
> portion that uses shared memory) under RHEL 3 and WBEL. Interestingly, it
> fails entirely under Centos. (I understood they were both built from the
> same sources). Do I have reason to be concerned by this?

Hmmm, without any more information then this, it's really hard to
answer.  In theory it shouldn't happen.  If you could be more
specific it would help greatly (like posting a simple C program that
works on one, and fails on the other).  Lots of applications use
shared memory, so I'd be shocked if CentOS fails to work altogether
with shared memory.

The fact that Shared Memory is fairly standard across UNIX flavors,
I find this relatively difficult to believe it works under WBEL3 and
not under CentOS3.  Generally it should be fairly portable from
Linux to Solaris, AIX, or *BSD.  Now that I say that someone will
point out all the differences between Shared Memory on those
platforms, but for the most part, modulo small sematics differences
it should work.

>   I recently read a comment by a Dev (at WBEL) stating that he was leaving
> for the greener pastures of Centos. This is what prompted my trying Centos
> to begin with - and its subsequent failure. Is this true, what does that
> mean, what is the future of WBEL? (See question one for significance).

There is only one developer for WBEL, John Morris.  The future of
WBEL is whatever he makes of it.  It'd be fairly easy to find
someone to maintain it if he fell off the face of the earth.  It's
fairly easy to switch from WBEL to CentOS (or the otherway around).
So I worry less and less about it.

    Thanks,
        Kirby