[WBEL-users] Writing a script in bash

Jean Lee jean.lee at free.fr
Tue May 24 10:16:14 CDT 2005

Hello,

I am not sure this is the correct list to ask this question but I don't
know where to ask it. If somebody knows, please redirect me.

I am writing a backup script using bash and I want to log the output in
"/var/log/backup.log"
The saved files have to be stored on an external hard drive on "/dev/sda1"

the script works and contains :

    mount /dev/sda1
    cp /usr/Users/FolderToBackup /mnt/usb0/
    umount /dev/sda1

On the terminal command line, I type :

    ./backup >> /var/log/backup.log

nothing is returned on the terminal and all the output is redirected to
"/var/log/backup.log".
It works always fine.

Now, if the external hard drive is not present on "/dev/sda1" and I type :
    ./backup >> /var/log/backup.log

On the terminal, I have :
    /dev/sda1 : Input/Output error
    mount : you must specify the filesystem type
    umount : /dev/sda1 not mounted

My questions are :

Why are these lines not logged in "/var/log/backup.log" ?
Is there a way to redirect it ?

Or perhaps that I made a mistake in my script architecture (This is my
first script) :
I want to test an external  hard drive availability  on "/dev/sda1" by
doing a grep in "/var/log/backup.log". Does anybody knows a better way
to do it ? (better than logging the output of "mount" in
"/var/log/backup.log" and then testing it with a grep)

Thank you for any answer,

Jean LEE