[WBEL-users] Recommendation for BIND only distro?

Dennis Gilmore dennis at royalpublishing.com
Wed May 25 13:16:57 CDT 2005

On Wednesday 25 May 2005 12:16 pm, Bob Ramstad wrote:
> On 5/25/05, Erik Williamson <erik at cpsc.ucalgary.ca> wrote:
>
> On a separate machine, I could create and burn a bootable ISO with all
> the data files and whatnot for BIND.  No hard drive, no floppy drive,
> nothing.  Just CPU, memory, and CD-ROM (not even a burner) on the
> gateway machine.
>
> If there is no writable media, it's a lot harder to attack the
> machine...  and if it somehow gets infected with something, just
> reboot, and it's gone for the time being until a better ISO can be
> built that fixes the problem.
>
> No backups necessary, either...
>
> I guess I didn't express myself very well earlier, but I was really
> weighing total cost of ownership -- building a special bootable CD-ROM
> ISO would mean putting more time in up front, but presumably less work
> keeping the system up and running over time and perhaps having better
> security due to lack of hackability.

Have a look at http://dc.qut.edu.au/adios/ for some info on setting up your
own customizable live cd.  only problem i see is having to create new isos
for updates  to configs or system.  but then again keep a tree in house not
too hard.  you could always use something like a usb flash drive for bind
config files.

--
Regards

Dennis Gilmore  RHCE
Network Manager
Royal Publishing
(309)693-3171 x299
7620 N. Harker Drive
Peoria IL 61615

Fedora Core release Rawhide (Rawhide)
 13:14:49 up 7 days, 20:58,  3 users,  load average: 0.91, 0.58, 0.32