[WBEL-users] Recommendation for BIND only distro?

Kirby C. Bohling kbohling at birddog.com
Wed May 25 15:45:20 CDT 2005

On Wed, May 25, 2005 at 03:02:59PM -0500, John Morris wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-05-25 at 11:09, Bob Ramstad wrote:
>
> > We have a need to bring up a very very limited role server for taking
> > care of external DNS requests.  This will be the only public service
> > at our location.
>
> > It then occurred to me that there have to be some distros out there
> > that are meant for this kind of purpose, and sure enough, there's an
> > embarassment of riches out there... hard to choose one.
>
> I'd say it depends on a couple of factors.
>
> 1) Do you have an adaquate box to throw at the problem?  WBEL3 needs
> 192M to reliably install (but you can drop to 128 or 64 afterwards if
> you are only running bind).

Hmm, curious, in my experience, you can make up for a lack of RAM
with swap (granted machines without RAM probably don't have lots of
spare space for swap either).  I know I've had problems with a full
kickstart install unless I had at least 512MB between RAM and swap.
The problem child was OpenOffice didn't want to finish installing
without plenty of RAM.   It'd deadlock during the install without it.

    Kirby