[WBEL-users] WBEL4 Install Not Recognizing RAID

Will McDonald wmcdonald at gmail.com
Thu May 26 03:55:07 CDT 2005

Googling around for
http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=megaraid+el4&hl=en&lr=&start=10&sa=N

Found this CentOS related release notes page which should apply to WB too...

<----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->

The kernel shipped with CentOS 4 includes the new megaraid_mbox driver
from LSI Logic, which replaces the megaraid driver. The megaraid_mbox
driver has an improved design, is compatible with the 2.6 kernel, and
includes support for the latest hardware. However, megaraid_mbox does
not support some of the older hardware that was supported by the
megaraid driver.

Adapters with the following PCI vendor ID and device ID pairs are not
supported by the megaraid_mbox driver:
vendor, device

0x101E, 0x9010
0x101E, 0x9060
0x8086, 0x1960

The lspci -n command can be used to display the IDs for adapters
installed in a particular machine. Products with these IDs are known
by (but not limited to) the following model names:

Dell PERC (dual-channel fast/wide SCSI) RAID controller

Dell PERC2/SC (single-channel Ultra SCSI) RAID controller

Dell PERC2/DC (dual-channel Ultra SCSI) RAID controller

Dell CERC (four-channel ATA/100) RAID controller

MegaRAID 428

MegaRAID 466

MegaRAID Express 500

HP NetRAID 3Si and 1M

Both Dell and LSI Logic have indicated that they no longer support
these models in the 2.6 kernel. As a result, these adapters are not
supported in CentOS 4.

I suspect that you've been caught by having older RAID hardware that's
been dropped from the EL4 kernel. Check the output of /sbin/lspci
whilst booted in EL3.

Sure enough, check the kernel section of the Release Notes on the WB CDs...

ftp://ftp.mirror.ac.uk/sites/www.whiteboxlinux.org/4/en/os/i386/RELEASE-NOTES-en.html

Will.