[WBEL-users] File corruption and new kernel

Bob Ramstad rramstad at gmail.com
Fri May 27 11:30:33 CDT 2005

Hey there.  Two quickies...

1) I'm running the latest WBEL3 kernel recompiled with sata_sil
instead of the crappy builtin driver.  I've been seeing some file
corruption, it's odd, but basically when I copy large quantities of
files (20+ GB) it is not uncommon for a handful of files to be
corrupted.  As an example the other day, I copied 55 GB worth of
files, roughly 2200 files in total, and ended up with three that
wouldn't pass md5sum --check as compared to the original.

Note in this case that the Serial ATA drives were the source, and the
destination was a FAT32 filesystem.  Also note that once I recopied
those three files, everything was fine.

Has anyone else seen anything along these lines?  I would assume it's
a Serial ATA specific problem, but not sure.

2) I'm feeling like the best thing to do would be to get a more recent
kernel.  Part of me doesn't like doing this as it would fall outside
the "yum" model i.e. if there's an update, I won't be automatically
notified.  Is there anyone out there aware of a kernel-source yum
repository for WBEL3 that is regularly updated for the latest 2.4
kernel?

-- Bob