[WBEL-users] Mozilla and X issues after recent updates

Kirby C. Bohling kbohling at birddog.com
Fri May 27 13:02:04 CDT 2005

Whitebox users,

    After the last round of Mozilla and kernel updates, I've had
problems with X during startup and mozilla randomly closing
(possibly crashing) during normal usage.

lspci says this is the Video card:
Intel Corp. 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics
Device (rev 03)

PCI ID: Class 0300: 8086:2562 (rev 03)

When I boot the machine, if it is in runlevel 5 (i.e. it starts
prefdm) the screen will blank like it's in powersaving mode, and
switching to a text console doesn't work.  Ctl-Alt-Del works
sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't.  I can remotely log in an
reboot the machine.  Ctl-Alt-Backspace doesn't ever work.

Now, if I boot to single user mode, or to runlevel 3 log in as root,
run startx, kill X almost immediatly, then run "init 5", it will run
prefdm without a problem.  If I boot into single user mode, or
runlevel 3, and then run "init 5", I get the same symptoms as if I
boot directly into run level 5 (blank screen, can't get a text
console).

So it seems like "startx" is doing some bit of initialization that
"prefdm".  Anybody seen anything like this?

My other issue that started at the same time is that Mozilla will
just close down.  When I'm scrolling, or right after clicking on a
link.  There doesn't seem to be any pattern to it that I can tell.

I haven't memtest'ed the box, but both problems started immediatly
after running the last round of updates for the kernel (I'm not sure
what all I installed in that batch, I believe Mozilla and the kernel
were the two main things).  So I'm fairly sure those two are the
source of my problems.

    Anybody with similar problems?  Or ideas about what to look
into?  I'm relatively stumped.  (I'm tempted to use this to go
rebuild my desktop as a RHEL4 rebuild, but figured I'd at least try
and troubleshoot it before losing a day to dealing with it).

    Thanks,
        Kirby