[WBEL-users] Upgrading from WBEL3 to WBEL4...some questions...

Sanjay Arora sanjay.k.arora at gmail.com
Sat May 28 12:52:41 CDT 2005

1. Mine is an ext3 system with four EIDE HDDs of various capacities,
each having two or more partitions, depending upon the capacity of the
disk. Now, I am tired of all those symlinks and want to upgrade
straight to LVM2...which I have installed on fresh install machines.

Now this server has lots of data and I don't have enuff HDDs in place
to back it up...this one used to work as a backup server too, so has
the biggest hdd real estate.

Also, I have no experience of tinkering with lvm.

Is the upgrage method capable of converting an ext3 partition to lvm2,
without my intervention and without data loss. If so, how do I do
it....

and if not...

My root HDD is seperate and has no data, just wbel installation. I
will install fresh on this and use LVM for install. How do I add each
partition after emptying it sequentially and then putting data back
into the lvm...doing this partition by partition.

Read the LVM How-to page and studied some mailing list archives
too...but seems I need that complete idiots guide that can get me
working now so I put learning on hold for a while.

Will someone please help?

Best regards.
Sanjay.