[WBEL-users] Upgrading from WBEL3 to WBEL4...some questions...

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue May 31 10:27:49 CDT 2005

Sanjay Arora wrote:
> 1. Mine is an ext3 system with four EIDE HDDs of various capacities,
> each having two or more partitions, depending upon the capacity of the
> disk. Now, I am tired of all those symlinks and want to upgrade
> straight to LVM2...which I have installed on fresh install machines.
>
> Now this server has lots of data and I don't have enuff HDDs in place
> to back it up...this one used to work as a backup server too, so has
> the biggest hdd real estate.
>
> Also, I have no experience of tinkering with lvm.
>
> Is the upgrage method capable of converting an ext3 partition to lvm2,
> without my intervention and without data loss. If so, how do I do
> it....
>
> and if not...
>
> My root HDD is seperate and has no data, just wbel installation. I
> will install fresh on this and use LVM for install. How do I add each
> partition after emptying it sequentially and then putting data back
> into the lvm...doing this partition by partition.
>
> Read the LVM How-to page and studied some mailing list archives
> too...but seems I need that complete idiots guide that can get me
> working now so I put learning on hold for a while.
>
> Will someone please help?
>
> Best regards.
> Sanjay.
Do you have enough extra space to move one drive at a time?
Then you could do the upgrade, add any extra space you can to LVM,
and move one drive at a time to LVM by creating containers for each
mount point you want to move.
Then you can reclaim that now empty drive to LVM, and move the next
drive. After you are finished, you can resize each mount point to its
final size you want.
It will take quite a few reboots, but most of the time will be spent in
copying the data from partitions to their new LVM containers.

--
| A beer doesn't get  >--|===`-----'I `---' I |  |:
| upset if you come  /  _ \         I       I |  |:'
| home with another /  (   `-,----============:__;:
:/