[WBEL-users] Apache httpd 2.0.54 (or .55) for WBEL3?

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Fri Nov 4 18:22:40 CST 2005

On Fri, 2005-11-04 at 16:55, Eric B. wrote:

> I am looking to upgrade by Apache Httpd server from 2.0.46 to one of the
> latest versions, due to bug fixes and patches that are found in the latest
> builds.  However, the only rpms that I found are for Fedora 3 or 4.  So I
> figured I'd have to build from the .src.rpm myself.  But, even the .src.rpms
> require libraries that are newer than those found on WBEL3.

As has already been mentioned, RH backports security fixed and major bug
fixes.  (I'll be hatching the latest errata RSN) And you have discovered
why it is a bad idea to try sticking a different major version in.  The
components in an OS are interrelated, often in unexpected ways that
aren't even properly documented with .spec dependencies.  Unless there
is a specific feature in a more recent version that you NEED you
shouldn't even bother trying to do a port.

Building a major component from raw sources would totally hose the
package management.  You would have two choices.  Option 1 is to remove
httpd and friends and build your own in /usr/local and then build and
install all of the other dependencies you need there.  Option 2 is
manually try to use -force and -nodeps a lot in a probably doomed
attempt to keep rpm sorta working with an unpackaged httpd dropped in
the middle of the system.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris     This post is 100% M$Free!