[WBEL-users] Re: Re: x86_64 randomly crashes

Vic whitebox at beer.org.uk
Mon Nov 7 01:23:00 CST 2005

> I found out it has something to do with either the CPU or mobo.
> Sometimes it reports I have a cpu running at 1019MHz instead of
> 2200MHz.

That had me going for a while, as well.

The AMD64 supports on-the-fly changes in clock speed and operating voltage
(AMD call it "cool 'n' quiet", IIRC). If you're not using the CPU much, it
switches down...

Rather annoying to spend out on a 64-bit machine like this to be told that
it only had 2000 bogomips; even more annoying to realise that that's only
because I wasn't doing anything on it :-)

HTH

Vic.