[WBEL-users] Update on Samba errors - also on Maxtor issue

Francies Moore liz at indract.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Nov 13 17:09:22 CST 2005

Hi folks

Sorry for long delay in getting back on this one.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I found the error occurred on Samba 3.0.10
as well.  There was no time to rebuild Samba but we did some
troubleshooting and finally decided the error was on the client side
(there seemed to be some "noise" between Win2K clients and the NT server
as well).

I have been very busy so khaqq found the url for me from the Samba archives

http://archives.free.net.ph/message/20051025.034704.36b2af5f.en.html

Not Samba's fault then.

Case of "now he tells me" - after this, my Lotus Domino/Linux consultant
said "Oh yes, we get that.  We ignore it."

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.   However, this error seems not to
be responsible for the slowdowns experienced - there may be a network
problem which is nothing to do with any OS and I have no jurisdiction
over the network itself.

With regard to the hard disk errors I reported earlier in the year, we
have decided that this *was* a hardware problem.  To be safe we replaced
the PSUs in the machines with Antec ones.  Further, our hardware support
engineer informed me that he had lost data on a Maxtor drive when
running Windows XP, and had to low-level format the drive.  Not a Linux
problem then.

I go live with Samba on WBEL4 replacing ancient Netfinity running WinNT
tomorrow....

Francies