[WBEL-users] Howto shrink LVM Logical Volume in WBEL4?

Eric B. ebenze at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 30 01:42:28 CST 2005

Hi,

I went through the trouble of installing / using LVM on my system as I read
that it allows you to easily shrink / grow your logical partitions without
having to deal with new mounting points, etc...  But I find myself in a
quandry.  I need to shrink down on of the Ext3 partitions on a Logical
Volume on WBEL4, and can't seem to figure out how.

According to RH docs, ext2online only works for expanding LogVols, not
reducing them.

I have search around, but can't seem to find anything that will safely let
me reduce it.  I am more than happy to reduce the LogVol offline (ie:
partition unmounted), but even at that, I am failing to figure out how.  I
read the pages for lvreduce, but that seems to indicate that I risk losing
data if I don't resize the filesystem first.

Does anyone have an idea how/what I can do to accomplish this?

Thanks!

Eric