[WBEL-users] Mail Server Help

Vic whitebox at beer.org.uk
Thu Oct 13 01:36:39 CDT 2005

>> First: my server is able to send mail but not to receive (I think this
>> has something to do with the fact that I have not an static IP) but I
>> have no-ip redirecting all the mail to my correct IP.
> ----
> you have to have an mx record in dns for your domain point to a specific
> address (A record) which is always a fixed ip address. You probably need
> to work this out with whoever provides dns for your domain.

Indeed. But if you tell us which domain you're trying to sort out, someone
here can probably help a little.

>> Third: How do I configure sendmail to look for mail on non standard
>> ports
>
> to receive email, you pretty much have to have it come in to the normal
> smtp port (25)

Not entirely true; you can define which port you're listening on with the
"DAEMON_OPTIONS" line in /etc/sendmail.mc.

This will dramatically restrict the amount of mail you can receive, of
course, as pretty much everyone else transmits mail on port 25. If your
server isn't listening on that port, you're not going to get a
connection...

HTH

Vic.