[WBEL-users] New install - Firefox complains 'This document contains no data.'

Johan Dahlberg dahlberg at clara.co.jp
Sun Oct 16 21:16:17 CDT 2005

Hello Eric,

Just another speculation, I guess, but perhaps you can try to lower the
NIC's MTU (maximum transfer unit - maximum data frame size). This might
be useful in case your company has some VPN or other kind of packet
tunneling enabled between the switches, and there is some problem with
the automatic MTU discovery/packet fragmentation.
Try setting it to 1400 to begin with, to see if it helps. If it does, you
can try increasing it. A value of 1476 should probably be the optimal in
the case of a VPN. The default value is 1500.

To test it temporarily, issue the following command:

ifconfig eth0 mtu 1400

To set it permanently, add the following line to your
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file:

MTU=1400

I hope this helps you.

Best regards,
/Johan