[WBEL-users] New install - Firefox complains "This document contains no data."

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Tue Oct 18 13:02:28 CDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 12:13, Eric Trepanier wrote:

> When using Firefox, I can browse intranet sites with no problems, but
> when I attempt to browse Internet sites, I keep getting “This document
> contains no data.” errors and only get partial/incomplete web

First step is to isolate the problem.  From the info you provide it is
impossible to determine where things are going wrong.

1.  Isolate whether it is Firefox or a general networking issue.  Try
elinks, ping, etc. to determine whether the box is getting past your
outbound router.  If it is just FF, it would  have to be picking up a
bogus proxy config from somewhere.  Remember that besides the panel in
FF, GNOME has a proxy config control panel.  I know Nautilus uses it,
but I haven't dug into RedHat's customizations to FF enough to say for
certain whether it looks at it or not.

2.  Use the route command to see if it is picking up your default router
via dhcp.

3.  Is your dhcp server handing out addresses based on the mac address?
If so the fact Windows gets out would clear the question of some rule on
your firewall/outbound router being the problem.  Otherwise each
partition could be getting a different IP assignment so you may need to
look at the outbound router's configuration.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris     This post is 100% M$Free!