[WBEL-users] New install - Firefox complains "This document contains no data."

Eric Trepanier eric.trepanier at radialpoint.com
Tue Oct 18 13:19:10 CDT 2005

John Morris wrote:

>On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 12:13, Eric Trepanier wrote:
>

>>When using Firefox, I can browse intranet sites with no problems, but
>>when I attempt to browse Internet sites, I keep getting “This document
>>contains no data.” errors and only get partial/incomplete web
>>

>First step is to isolate the problem.  From the info you provide it is
>impossible to determine where things are going wrong.
>
>1.  Isolate whether it is Firefox or a general networking issue.  Try
>elinks, ping, etc. to determine whether the box is getting past your
>outbound router.  If it is just FF, it would  have to be picking up a
>bogus proxy config from somewhere.  Remember that besides the panel in
>FF, GNOME has a proxy config control panel.  I know Nautilus uses it,
>but I haven't dug into RedHat's customizations to FF enough to say for
>certain whether it looks at it or not.

I have installed lynx and I have similar problems, i.e. connection
failures when browsing the Internet (no problems when browsing intranet
sites).
Same thing with wget so it doesn't appear to be a Firefox issue.

>2.  Use the route command to see if it is picking up your default router
>via dhcp.

The route command's output appears to be correct (from what I was told -
I am not a networking guru!):
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
10.16.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.255.192.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
169.254.0.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.0.0     U     0      0        0 eth0
0.0.0.0         10.16.0.1       0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

>3.  Is your dhcp server handing out addresses based on the mac address?
>If so the fact Windows gets out would clear the question of some rule on
>your firewall/outbound router being the problem.  Otherwise each
>partition could be getting a different IP assignment so you may need to
>look at the outbound router's configuration.

I get the same IP address, regardless whether I dual-boot to WinXP or to
WBL so it seems that the dhcp server is handing out addresses based on
the mac address.

In the mean time, I have installed White Box 3 Respin 1 on both machines.

On a Dell Dimension 4600, WB3 installs fine, detects all networking
hardware and gives a fully functional dhcp-managed connection. From
there, I can browse intranet or Internet with no difficulty.

On a Dell XPS Gen 5, WB3 installs but does not detect the networking
hardware (it is a Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit adapter) so it is
pretty much useless.

So what is it about WB4 that is different? Why does WB3 give me a
functional connection on the Dell Dimension and WB4 does not?

Regards,

Eric