[WBEL-users] New install - Firefox complains "This document contains no data."

Sean Dogar sean at catfeeder.net
Tue Oct 18 15:43:18 CDT 2005

>>> On a Dell Dimension 4600, WB3 installs fine, detects all networking
>>> hardware and gives a fully functional dhcp-managed connection. From
>>> there, I can browse intranet or Internet with no difficulty.
>>>
>>> On a Dell XPS Gen 5, WB3 installs but does not detect the networking
>>> hardware (it is a Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit adapter) so it is
>>> pretty much useless.
>>>
>>> So what is it about WB4 that is different? Why does WB3 give me a
>>> functional connection on the Dell Dimension and WB4 does not?
>>>

>> ----
>> on WBEL 3.x
>>
>> cat /etc/modules.conf
>>
>> on WBEL 4.x
>>
>> cat /etc/modprobe.conf
>>
>> see which modules are loading - you might be able to use a different
>> module for the broadcom.
>>
>> Craig

There is a bcm5700 module available for those Broadcom chips, but I find
the tg3 module works great.  It may not be loading because your specific
adaptor's PCI ID may not be in the list for the autoloader to figure out
what module to load.  Try loading the tg3 module manually with a
"modprobe tg3" as root, followed by an ifconfig to see if the interfaces
are enumerated.  If you see an ethernet device, then you are good to
go.  Add an alias in /etc/modprobe.conf so that the kernel knows what
module to load in order to activate the ethernet device, and configure
IP connectivity for the device as you normally would (static or DHCP).

-Sean