[WBEL-users] Weird Samba errors

Raymond Lillard rlillard at sonic.net
Wed Oct 19 00:23:08 CDT 2005

Craig White wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 19:11 -0400, candido lopez rodriguez wrote:
>>>Note it says it can't find "francie" but my username/home directory name
>>>is "francies".   Samba is really slow using my Windows 2000 client, but
>>>when I tried a Windows 98 client it worked as fast as I would expect.
>>>
>>>The version of Samba is 3.0.2-6.3E.
>>>
>>>I have another Samba server running RH8.0 (never got round to updating
>>>it) and that is working fine.

... snippage ...
> The 'couldn't find service francie' does indeed that it can't find the
> HOME directory for your login.

Probably a typo somewhere in a configuration.  I don't remember any such
problem with early v3 samba, but who knows.

> You really need to update your install as samba has been updated a
> number of times (I think on RHEL/WBEL it's on 3.0.10-3E) and I think it
> also fixes some of the schannel issues that may slow it up with a Win2K
> or WinXP client

I have long ago given up waiting for official samba rpm updates.

If you are up to it, go get the latest samba release *v3.0.20b* at this
writing and compile it from source.  Get the options for the "configure"
program from the spec file under ".../packages/RedHat" and modify to
taste.  Don't forget to hack the "service smb" script also to start the
correct binaries.  Practice on a *test* machine.

Report back or try the samba list.

Good Luck,
Ray