[WBEL-users] Clock skew with make on an NFS filesystem with NTP running

Sean Dogar sean at catfeeder.net
Thu Oct 20 12:51:23 CDT 2005

I have a machine with a large NFS mounted home directory that several
developers use to do makes.  The NFS is served from an Onstor Bobcat
2240 filer.  Both the NFS appliance and the Linux box have NTP enabled
and I've verified that they're syncing with the timeservers with "ntpq
-p."  When a make is run, periodically he will get clock skew warnings.
The time difference is always very very minor....such as 0.029 seconds,
but still, why would this be occuring?  We're not doing a parallel make,
and as I understand it, make will operate basically in a serial fashion,
satisfying one dependency before it moves to the next step.  The file in
question is a header file that gets generated earlier in the makefile.
Where should I look for misbehavior?

-Sean