[WBEL-users] Building a kernel - help!

Vic whitebox at beer.org.uk
Thu Oct 27 04:27:23 CDT 2005

Hi All.

I've been updating machines with kernels straight from ftp.redhat.com.

Last night, I used an X86_64 machine to build a kernel for itself. It took
a little patching of the spec file ("redhat"->"whitebox" in a couple of
locations), but basically went off just fine.

This morning, I'm trying to use the same box to build a kernel for a
Celery 533 (not really grunty enough to do its own builds!). It fails.

The command I'm using is

rpmbuild -ba --target i686 kernel-2.6.spec

And it fails. From the output (just before a whole slew of errors) :

+ cp configs/kernel-2.6.9-i686.config .config
+ make -s nonint_oldconfig
.config:64: trying to assign nonexistent symbol X86_PC

(N.B. I've also used "--target=i686" - same result)

Diffing configs/kernel-2.6.9-i686.config and .config show they are very
different - it's setting up the .config file to match the host machine,
not the target!

Am I doing something monumentally stupid? Have I missed something somewhere?

Thanks!

Vic.