[WBEL-users] Mailing list removal

Vic whitebox at beer.org.uk
Thu Sep 1 11:14:47 CDT 2005

> Any server
> returning 204.196.62.x for us *IS* a problem.  If you can trace it down
> to an exact server, and can get ahold of them - ask them to dump their
> cache and restart, because who knows *HOW* many other bad addresses they
> have.

The problem is not just the occasional cached record - the delegated
nameservers (upstream of beau) are giving out the wrong info.

A recursive search goes like this :-

Root nameservers respond with 6 different UltraDNS servers for the entire
.org TLD.

Any of those UltraDNS servers respond that fenris and topdog1 are the
nameservers for beau.org - but *also* respond with an A record for
beau.org. This record is wrong, and is the reason things are going astray.

To correct the problem, UltraDNS needs to ditch this A record - but since
they are the TLD nameserver, I suspect this is a glue record or similar;
how does Beau do its domain registration / delegation?

> fenris & topdog1 are the primary name servers for our domains, odin is
> the actual machine that should be the MX if I'm not mistaken.

The workaround I posted the other day forces my nameserver to go straight
to fenris/topdog1 for all beau.org searches - that's why I can now access
all beau.org stuff correctly.

> Life is fun around here right now - over 3% of the parish's population
> is evacuees, around a thousand people, and the number is expected to get
> quite a bit higher.

Hope things get better for you lot...

Vic.