[WBEL-users] installing on a 2015S

Chris whiteboxlinux.org at dotcomdesigners.com
Wed Sep 28 23:42:14 CDT 2005

Kernel 2.6.x no longer has built-in support for the 2015S RAID controllers,
and Adaptec has ZERO desire to upgrade their drivers to support anything
beyond kernel 2.4.  This includes Fedora Core 2 and up, RHEL 4 and up, and
so on.  We went through hell, up to and including getting both Adaptec and
Supermicro CEOs on the phone (no easy feat) because all our Supermicro
servers at the time had the 2015S controllers - all 120+ of them.  Most of
these were less than a year old, when we learned that Adaptec was no longer
going to support Linux and turned into a Windows-only shop.  Long story
short, Adaptec has no interest in Linux, and Supermicro is apparently too
small and insignificant to pull any favors and have Adaptec write drivers
for the hardware they themselves bundle with their servers, and design their
own motherboards to support this type of zero-channel RAID controller with a
special, dedicated slot right on the motherboard.  Go figure.  Guess
Supermicro will turn into a Windows-only shop, too, since they can't get any
help from Adaptec for the only 'officially supported' RAID controller they
build their hardware around.

After a lot of discussions with Adaptec, they eventually sent us their last
beta builds of the updated drivers, which at the time they were building on
the development kernel 2.5.  We didn't have the resources to complete this
project so we left it alone and moved on.... to Dell PowerEdge servers.  At
least Dell is big enough to have the pull required to force their suppliers
to provide updated firmware and drivers, as needed.  I used to hate Dell for
many reasons, but after working with their hardware (server hardware only)
and support, I have changed my opinion.  They do have very decent hardware
and they do have reasonable support.  Hardware RAID may need some tweaking
to get best performance, but nothing major - everything works perfectly out
of the box, on both kernel 2.4 and 2.6.

Last month we took pictures of all Supermicro servers we just retired and
sold on eBay (and replaced with Dell PowerEdge systems) and sent them to
both Supermicro and Adaptec.  They will not get a single penny from us for
as long as we can help it.  Adaptec = BAD, when it comes to Linux support.
Just about anything else would be my choice.

Chris