[WBEL-users] Re: Mirror sites, rsync and version 4.0

Jerry Amundson jerry at pbs.com
Sat Apr 15 17:19:59 CDT 2006

On Sat April 15 2006 15:31, Alon wrote:
> Hi Jerry,
>
> Thanks for the reply (for the second time).
>
> Yes,. that is the same question I had last time and your response is
> the same. I've been having problems rsyncing manually
> (probably missing a path of somesort) andn therefore I was asking
> about it again.

Please reply to the list, not to posters directly. It's the
"whitebox-users" list, not "jerry's-whitebox-support". ;-)

> I've been working with only version 3.0 and it has been great.
>
> I've not used the version 4.0 until now, but it appears that the
> update process for version 3.0, with rsync or without it, is getting
> slower each time.

"with rsync or without it"? With rsync means you point your yum repo to
your local update server. It being "slower" is then only relevent to
you.

> I understand that in your opinion, the version 4.0 is considered
> stable and is widely supported.
> I only use it for webhosting, not even using a GUI in anyway,. so
> this should be fine.. right?

Yep.

> I'm just worried of changes which are of dramatic nature (such as
> this).

Don't be. It's not surgery - nobody's going to die, even worst case
scenario... :-)

> The rsync option you suggested, can it be applied to the version 4.0?

Yes.

> I am doing HTTP installations, so what should my exclude file
> contain? You had SRPMS, but don't I need that for a initial install?

YMMV. Correct, you don't need SRPMS.

jerry