[WBEL-users] Screwed by a CentOS4 install test

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Mon Apr 17 14:36:20 CDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-04-14 at 05:16, Jack Glendening wrote:

> I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY would like to get my WBEL3 system back
> working, since that is the system I use, but am unsure how to approach
> things since I now have two problems: (1) loading WBEL3 fails (2)
> booting is occurring from hda11 instead of hda1.  To me (1) seems like
> the biggest problem so should be tackled first - but perhaps somehow
> fixing (2) would also fix (1).

First step is finding out how much is hosed on hda1.  Get into rescue
mode and do rpm -V on the kernel package and grub.  If those are OK you
can proceed to reinstall it's version of grub back into the MBR with
grub-install.

If something has corrupted  a package you can reinstall it and try
again.  Then run rpm -Va >/tmp/verifyall and look through the output.
Once you can explain or reinstall the packages that throw errors you
should be ok.

In the end you might be chasing the wrong culprit.  There were
persistent reports that test releases of FC5 was borking older ext3
filesystems, even ones not explicitly being requested to be mounted, by
flipping on new filesystem features that are not backwards compatible.

Have been meaning to try a controlled experiment to find out if it a) it
is true and b) if it persisted into the final FC5 release.

--
John M.      http://www.beau.org/~jmorris     This post is 100% M$Free!