[WBEL-users] OT: virtual (was Re: Screwed by a CentOS4 install test)

Jerry Amundson jerry at pbs.com
Thu Apr 27 14:23:51 CDT 2006

On Thu April 27 2006 13:50, Robert Seward wrote:
> Jerry,
>
> vmware claims that they will NOT charge for vmware server in future.
>
> As far as I know. vmwareserver is a stripped down version of VMWare
> Workstation.
>
> I am running both and I haven't notice a huge difference. Other than
> vmware server is easier to manage from a server perspective.
>
> Thanks,
> Rob
>
> On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 13:12 -0500, Jerry Amundson wrote:
> > On Thu April 27 2006 12:11, Ryan Kramer wrote:
> > > way too late now, but just for information for anyone else
> > > wanting to test other os's, VMware is now 100% free...  you can
> > > create as many virtual machines on top of a wbel host as you
> > > want.  (I personally run a dedicated windows guest on top of
> > > whitebox, and keep 2 or 3 other vm's active at any one given time
> > > for trying out other stuff...)
> >
> > To clarify, VMPlayer is free, VMware Server Beta is an eval, and
> > expires...
> > http://www.vmware.com/community/thread.jspa?messageID=355043񖫣
> >
> > I did play with with xen on FC5 yesterday - it rocks. Blows vmware
> > away, performance wise.
> > http://www.xensource.com/xen/downloads/
> >
> > jerry

Ah, I stand corrected. I should have went to the FAQ, not just the
Forum... http://www.vmware.com/products/server/faqs.html
Q: Will VMware Server still be free when it is generally available?
A: Yes, VMware Server will be a free product. There will not be any
charge for licenses to VMware Server when it becomes generally
available.

As for performance... ??
We use ESX, VMPlayer, VMware Server - xen is the closest to bare metal
I've seen. Wish I had time for some benchmarks. Oh well...

jerry