[WBEL-users] panic in WBEL4?

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Aug 2 10:57:41 CDT 2006

david spake the following on 7/18/2006 6:13 PM:
> Dear Friends
>
> I'm getting 4 to 5 panics per day on my computer.  Most of them produce
> an reboot (because I have the Kernel parameter "panic=10"), but not all do.
>
> I have been sitting next to the computer when this happens, and the
> frame, power supply and everything else feels cool to the touch, so I
> don't think it's a heat problem.
>
> Specifics of my configuration:
>
> WBEL4 updated as of 17 July 2006
> Applications are
>  - mail, http, dns and ftp servers
> The system also provides routing functions (NAT) to my home windows
> computers.
>
> 512M of memory
> two NIC's
> Command line interface only (no graphic stuff installed)
> Two HDs (80, 120) combined as a single logical volume
> Anything else you need to know?
>
> The failures that I've been able to see mostly say "spinlock" or
> something similar, but it's pure luck if I see the failure.
>
> I've tried two memory modules (pc2100 ddr, and pc2700 ddr) and both
> produce similar failures.
>
> Do I have a bad CPU?  Bad memory? Bad drives? Bad Linux?
>
> HELP
Spinlock has something to do with shared memory access.
There have been some problems with NVidia chipsets in the past. Have you tried
to see if there is a bios update for your PC? Maybe that would fix it.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and